Adasaurus is a dromaeosaurid theropod dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous Period of Central Asia. It was a small bipedal carnivore with a sickle-shaped claw on the second toe of each hind foot, and was perhaps 1.8 m long.
Lived: 72.1 million years ago – 66 million years ago (Maastrichtian)
Scientific name: Adasaurus (Ada’s lizard)
Higher classification: Dromaeosaurinae
Length: 1.8 m
The Adasaurus was a small dinosaur which lived somewhere between 72 million and 66 million years ago. With only a limited amount of fossil evidence available, paleontologists have found it remarkably difficult when it comes to determining the actual time period that the dinosaur lived in. It is currently believed that the Adasaurus most likely came from the Maastrichtian stage. This occurred throughout the latter part of the cretaceous period. The actual time frame may be adjusted should more complete Adasaurus fossils be discovered.
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Clade: Dinosauria
- Order: Saurischia
- Suborder: Theropoda
- Family: Dromaeosauridae
- Genus: Adasaurus Barsbold, 1983
- Type species: Adasuarus mongoliensis
Adasaurus Dinosaur (Ada Lizard) was a bird-like carnivorous dinosaur that lived 70 million years ago, throughout the late Cretaceous Period. (The name comes from the name of a mythological evil demon of Mongolia.)
Adasaurus is found in The Field Museum which was named by Rinchen Barsbold in 1983. It has been described as being very alike to Archeopteryx and its discovery added fuel to the present debate concerning dinosaurs and birds. Only unfinished fossils have been found, all in Mongolia, but based mainly in the Gobi desert region.
Adasaurus is a member of Dromaeosauridae, a group that is closely related to living birds. Other dromaeosaurids include Deinonychus, Velociraptor, Microraptor, and Buitreraptor. The relationships of Adasaurus are poorly understood. Traditionally, Adasaurus is assigned to the Dromaeosaurinae, which includes heavily built animals such as Dromaeosaurus and Utahraptor but several recent studies have suggested that it may be a member of the Velociraptorinae instead.
Adasaurus dinosaur Facts
- The name Adasaurus is a combination of Greek and Mongolian. In Mongolian mythology, Ada is an evil spirit. In Greek, sauros means ‘lizard’.
- This dinosaur was named by Rinchen Barsbold – a Mongolian Paleontologist in 1983.
- Adasaurus belongs to the group named Dromaeosauridae, which is a group that is closely related to today’s modern birds.
- Only two specimens of this dinosaur has been found till date and both of them have been found from Gobi Desert’s Nemegt Formation in southern Mongolia.
- Experts say that the Adasaurus lived between 75-65 million years ago. Which means that they were possibly annihilated during
Also more: Acrocanthosaurus