Kalahari Red Goat History
The Kalahari Red is a meat-type goat breed that originating from South Africa. Their name is derived from their red coat and the kalahari desert. Kalahari desert, which spans the borders of Botswana, South Africa, and Namibia. This semi-arid climate has contributed to Kalahari’s overall hardiness.
In the early 1970’s breeders started to collect red goats out of the indigenous goats in south africa and namibia. In south africa, the kalahari Reds are considered as an important goat breed and mainly raised for their meat production. Some populations of the kalahari Red goats are also being developed in Australia, Brazil and the united states.
The dominant red/brown colour of the kalahari Reds makes the goats very suitable for cross breeding programs to improve the colour of the indigenous goats. dna tests conducted found a great genetic divide between the kalahari Reds and other South African goat breeds.
Kalahari Red Characteristics
Kalahari Red goat is another beautiful goat breed. They are tall and long, which gives them excellent mobility. It has a fine head, lob ears, round horns that are bent backwards and a loose, supple skin with folds. Their skin is fully pigmented, allowing them to forage and increase gains through the heat of the day. They have moderately-sized, sloping horns above their ears. The does have full and properly attached udders and teats. The kalahari Red goats can be use as a good crossbred for increasing hardiness and carcass size.
The bucks are usually larger than the does. the average weight of a buck is as much as 115kg, while does reach 75kg. They will feed on a large variety of plants for sustenance. Their parasite and disease resistance allows for less vaccination inoculation than the average goat breed.
The ideal is a brown goat with colour shadings that range between light brown to dark brown. It has a smooth short hair coat that is very well pigmented. The commercial goat farmer can cross-breed kalahari Reds to improve the carcass mass of indigenous goats.
Scientific name: Capra aegagrus hircus
Breed Name: Kalahari Red
Other Name: n/a
Breed Purpose: meat, milk
Breed Size: large
Buck Minimum: up to 253 pounds
Doe Minimum: up to 165 pounds
Climate Tolerance: All Climates
Coat Color: red
Good for Stall: excellent breeds for stall fed
Country/Place of Origin: South Africa
What is use Kalahari Red Goat?
Kalahari Red goat is a mainly use for meat producing. They are best for meat goat farming business. Kalahari Reds can be used to give indigenous goats a uniform, solid red colour, with all the unique advantages that this brings. Their earthy colour provides a good camouflage that protects them from predators.
How to tack care Kalahari Red Goat?
Kalahari Reds are less susceptible to diseases and need to be inoculated and dosed far less than other breeds, which makes them easy to care for and less labour intensive. The limited use of vaccines makes the production of organically produced meat possible. They require less care and management, and can give maximum profit when raising goats commercially.
Advantages of Kalahari Red goat
- The kalahari Red goat is an excellent meat goat breed.
- The kids grow very fast, and the young kids usually show weight gains of about 1.5 kg per week, sometimes even more.
- They are fully pigmented and, therefore, able to endure heat and strong sunshine.
- Their dark coats and long ears provide good heat resistance and will, therefore, feed for longer during the heat of the day, which ultimately means higher weight gains.
- Kalahari Reds are less susceptible to diseases and need to be inoculated and dosed far less than other breeds, which makes them easy to care for and less labour intensive.
- They are ideally suited to the harsh and are very adaptable and bred well in the arid and semi arid areas.
Disadvantages of Kalahari Red Goat
Kalahari Red Goat facts
- The kalahari Red is a breed of goat originating from south africa.
- They are generally use in meat production.
- The kalahari red is a red medium to large framed lob eared meat goat.
- Kalahari Reds are ideally suite to the harsh and outstretched conditions of large parts of south africa.
- They feed on a vast variety of plants and are resistant to disease and parasites.
- The kalahari Red goats are very active and extremely hardy animals.
- They can go far in search of food and water.
- The dominant red/brown colour of the kalahari Reds makes the goats very suitable for cross breeding programs to improve the colour of the indigenous goats.
Kalahari Red Goat price
Starting price $150
Kalahari Red Goats for Sale
agriuniverse.co.zw is proud to be a part of the online adoption community. If you would like to be contacted when goats become available for sale.
Kalahari Red goat pictures
Got some questions? Or some suggestions? That’s why we’ve got a comments section on this blog! You can feel free to leave a comment or two down below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!
We love reading your messages……
Read Also: Barbari Goat