Spanish Goat History
Around the 16th century, Spanish Goat explorers brought landrace goats from their native lands to the Caribbean Islands and areas that would later become the united states and mexico. The breed is often referred to as “wood” in the Southeast and elsewhere, brush or briar, hill and scrub goats.
Spanish goats are hardy and can thrive in difficult environments. Pure Spanish goats have been crossbred with imported goat breeds for cashmere and meat production. Spanish goat was the only goat breed known across the southern united states and in most other parts of the americas for over 300 years. They are also good as meat goats, but the boer goats have overtaken Spanish goats for meat in the 1980s.
Spanish Goat Characteristics
Several characteristics of the Spanish Goat make it ideal livestock for terrain that would not support traditional cattle or sheep. both bucks and does are usually horned, and the bucks may have large and twisted horns. They have large ears and their ears are held horizontally and forward next to the head. The Spanish goat has a wide color variation, and they can be found in any color that is found in goats.
There have been obvious infusions of dairy and Angora blood in many “Spanish” herds, but no organized attempt has ever been made to use them for milk or mohair production.
Spanish goats have shown excellent hardiness and have shown themselves to be a low-input goat compared to other meat breeds. Several this goat producers in texas have been intensively selecting for increased meat production for the past several years.
Scientific name: Capra aegagrus hircus
Breed Name: Spanish Goat
Other Name: brush goat, scrub goat
Breed Purpose: Milk, Meat
Breed Size: Medium – large
Weight: 50 – 200 pounds
Buck Minimum: 50-200 pounds
Doe Minimum: 50 – 200 Pounds
Climate Tolerance: All Climates
Coat Color: white, brown, gray, black
Good for Stall: yes
Country/Place of Origin: Spain
What is use Spanish Goat?
Spanish goats are used mainly for meat production. The use of goats for meat was also important because it allowed cattle to be reserved for draft power, essential for crop production and transportation.
The traditional use of Spanish Goats is to clear brush and undesirable plant species from pasture lands intended to be used for other livestock. Several Spanish goat producers in texas have been intensively selecting for increased meat production for the past several years.
How to tack care Spanish Goat?
Advantages of Spanish goat
- They are currently used mainly for meat production.
- They are also sensible for brush-clearing purpose.
- This goats are such a low-input breed compared to different livestock mammal bred for meat that they provide an economic advantage.
- Large or small, Spanish goats produce flavorful meat and healthy, multiple kids without requiring a lot of human intervention.
- They’re disease-, parasite- and foot rot-resistant, making them ideal for anyone involved in minimum-input and organic chevon production.
Disadvantages of Spanish Goat
Spanish Goat facts
- The Spanish goat came originally from spain via mexico to the USA.
- The Spanish goat is a very hardy and active animal.
- Spanish goats can be any color or color pattern.
- Most Spanish goats have long, twisty horns.
- The hair coat is usually short but some goats grow fringes on their lower bodies and thighs, while others produce cashmere winter coats.
- Individuals weigh between 50 and 200 pounds.
- It can thrive in different and difficult environments.
- Pure Spanish goats have been crossbred with imported goat breeds for cashmere and meat production. they are very excellent meat goat breed with good meat qualities.
Spanish Goat price
Start up to $200
Spanish Goats for Sale
spanishgoats.org is proud to be a part of the online adoption community. If you would like to be contacted when goats become available for sale.
Spanish goat pictures
Got some questions? Or some suggestions? That’s why we’ve got a comments section on this blog! You can feel free to leave a comment or two down below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!
We love reading your messages……
Read Also: Golden Guernsey
Reference : wikipedia.org